Friday, January 24, 2020

Can I get some tips for drawing heads facing upwards? The neck and chin always confuse me.

Yes! This is one of the hardest angles to get right, imo, because it’s such a rare position to find ourselves in. That, plus the foreshortening needed to get the face just right. 

I’d start by doing some studies. Here, I traced over these stock photos to figure out where the contour lines of the jaw go, and the sculptural quality of the neck. 

Then,  I used the knowledge to draw a head freehand. 

Some important notes: 

The chin slopes into the neck with a pad of fat, muscle, and skin. Therefore, you shouldn’t follow the contour of the jaw. It shows as a “shelf”, as in you can see the shadow underneath. In people with more prominent fat, there will be less of a change in angle, and you will see less shadow under the jawbone. 

Some people have a prominent adam’s apple that you can see on the track of the trachea.

The sternocleidomastoid muscle is important to show. It connects from just behind the ear to the clavicle. It is used in the turning of the head. 

Another post by Wackart about neck anatomy: https://theredlinestation.tumblr.com/post/189113153780/can-you-explain-like-how-necks-work-and-how-to

-Mod Future (ko-fi)



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2sZ8ksu
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...