Tuesday, July 28, 2020

theredlinestation: Its me again, I’ve gotten better this past year at digital art and recently...

theredlinestation:

image

Its me again, I’ve gotten better this past year at digital art and recently got procreate and its helped my art so so much, but im still v confused and don’t understand how to color dark skin or lighting, this pic is the closest I’ve gotten to it

I tried highlighting and lighting but i just can’t understand it, ive watched videos and looked through advice blogs but it just won’t make sense in my mind

Submitted by pastelpurpleprimadonna

Redlined by Mod Future

Hello again! It’s nice to see you back ^^

To understand how light falls on an object, we first need to understand the planes of the form it is falling on. Where light hits directly, there will be a bright highlight, and where no light hits, there will be the darkest shadow. I recommend you take a look at some art guides or youtube videos about the “planes of the face” to understand this concept in depth! 

image

https://exo-memory.tumblr.com/post/136638853662/some-line-art-and-painting-studies-of-the-asaro

For this redline, I first looked up photos of models who have similar toned skin, and how light was used in those photos. For the horns, I found a similar material to reference as well. 

Then, I blocked out shapes first. I usually cover the form with the midtone, then I block out the BROAD highlights and shadows. Finally, I will add the darkest darks and the lightest lights. 

Notice how I also blocked out color that doesn’t fall into highlight or shadow. This is used to give the skin a sense of depth and translucency - to make this person feel like real flesh and blood.  

image

I hope this was helpful to you! Using a hard brush to block out shapes first (before smoothing them out if you want to) will give you better control over how your overall design looks! 

-Mod Future (ko-fi)



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/3f97nzV
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...