Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Can you have a tutorial on faces? Like I have a style I like to draw in but I can never decide how to draw the face. My style is kinda like semi realistic but I used to draw cartoony faces. (Think Steven Universe) I didn't think it fit really well so can you show examples of semi realistic faces?

This won’t be a tutorial so much as a guide to finding what makes semi-realistic styles click together. My first advice is always to find reference. Something must have inspired the way that you draw, so find those shows or artists that influenced your artwork, so you can understand where you’re coming from. 

I’m going to be using my own inspirations as an example. This is what I would call “semi-realistic” in my eyes, spanning from more naturalistic painting styles to the sorts of western animations we saw in the 1990s. 

From this (Aloy 2 by Lois van Baarle): 

image

to this (Sigma from Overwatch by @wachtelspinat/ on twitter/tumblr):

image

to this (Atlantis: The Lost Empire):

image

So, what does this all mean? Semi-realism is a very broad term, I think. You shouldn’t try to find an ideal. Rather, you should try to find what your artwork is telling you it wants. Obviously you know that there is something to do with the face that you’re missing. That’s a good start! 

I made a little tutorial on how to use photo reference to build the proportions of your face. As you can see, the end result isn’t  truly like the actual photo, but the proportions and face structure have been built by studying the photo. 

(Ethan Becker’s video on drawing through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZhUHNqLOUg )

-Mod Future (ko-fi)



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2mKbDQR
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...