Friday, October 25, 2019

Hi! I’m hoping you can help me get the clothing to look more natural. I have trouble getting the...

image

Hi! I’m hoping you can help me get the clothing to look more natural. I have trouble getting the folds to look right, and making the forms of clothes look 3d while still being cartoony. Thank you so much!!

image

Breaking your outfits down to very basic shapes, and then working on top of that - to make subsequent shapes can help you map out how your textiles might fall around a character. 
Often - what I see, is that people who get confused with clothing folds often end up taking shots in the dark and accidentally overdoing the amount of folds that might be needed for a textile to convey. You’ve actually managed to keep it moderated- which is really nice, now we just need to find out where these few folds should sit.  

image

Drawing your outfit like a wire grid- on top of your simple shape-sketches will also help you determine the flow of the shapes. In this particular piece, you have ample opportunity to make the sweater really pool around the waist, on top of the singed belt. I would amp up my shapes if I were you. Give your textiles that much more volume by making the shapes larger on top of your character’s anatomy.  This way the textile looks like it really sits there. And don’t be afraid to let your clothing’s outline deviate from that of your character’s body form.

image

Usually, with textiles, the folds only come up visible where there’s stretching or compressing happening. In this pose we’ve got here, there’s a lot of compression going on, and not too much stretch. The armpits, the pits of the elbows, the crevice between the legs, these are just some of the points where folds might become visible.  And if we’re really cheeky, we can add a little bit of a line where the belt nudges up against the sweater to indicate that the shirt sits loosely on the character. 

image

Quickly I’d like to mention that the density of fabric will also affect just how long and thick the folds will be. On denim materials, the folds tend to be short and shallow, since the stiffness of the textile keeps it from stretching and compressing much. Meanwhile, a big, soft cotton sweater will fold in much larger, softer lines. 


- Mod wackart ( ko-fi )



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2WmdHME
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...