Monday, October 12, 2020

Hi mods! I have an inhuman character that tries to disguise herself as a human, but still has some...

image

Hi mods! I have an inhuman character that tries to disguise herself as a human, but still has some inhuman features that stand out. I tried to focus mainly on her cheekbones and eyes, since I wanted her to look sharp and predatory while still humanlike, but I dont think it registers as such. How can I make her look less human and more animallike without going too far?

This is a really cool design! 
I’m going to try to stay inside the boundaries of it the best i can. Making characters look animalistic without going full furry/anthro is a bit of a balance-walk. And as you may already know, it takes a bit of going back and forth between design-choices to find out exactly what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes, it’s the most subtle, unexpected things that makes the difference. I’ll give it my shot at a more animalistic look, but to which extent it reads as animalistic to other people all depends on their own point of reference for the “inhuman”. 

image

I have based the changes on some rather “classic” traits that i’ve seen and used myself in character design when it comes to giving people more animalistic features. First and foremost, i’ve lifted the iris + pupil up higher (or lowered the upper eyelid depending on how you want to call it ). Which obscures a whole lot of the iris to a point where really getting a read of what the character is thinking can be difficult. The eyes are the windows to the soul, and by obscuring them - or otherwise making them feel like they’re not wholly present, you can make your characters appear like they are more threatening ( as this look of “disinterest” or “removedness” compromises our ability to read their emotions quickly ). 

I’ve also gone for a more rounded look for the eyelids, taking some inspiration from the look of a tiger’s (or i guess more commonly a cat’s ) eye. 

I’ve gone ahead and broadened the character’s mouth as well. One easy trick to getting your character to look threatening, is by giving them a mouth that looks like it could swallow you whole, or at least take a sizeable bite out of you. 


image

https://www.fanglawfirm.com/practice-areas/denver-dog-bite-attorney/

This, allegedly, has roots in our primal survival instinct, from way back when predators were a prominent part our collective cultural fear. Plus, with a bit of added teeth, you can prompt your audience to imagine just how a big, toothy grin would look on your character. 

image

I already really like what you did with the hair so i’m basically just doing it again, though with a little more of a simple overall shape to it. The top basically looks like a mane of hair, while the lower portion of hair almost appears like a layer of fur craddling around the shoulders. If you want - i’d recommend you play around more with how the character’s long hair can be used to imitate predators, in order to invoke a sense of familiar danger in your audience. 

- Mod Wackart ( ko-fi )



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2GUyumW
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...