Monday, October 28, 2019

I was hoping you could redline this sketch! I’m having some issues with his head and his hand, but...

image

I was hoping you could redline this sketch! I’m having some issues with his head and his hand, but cant quite figure out how to fix them. He is supposed to be holding the cigar like that, but the hand still looks wonky.


You’ve actually managed to draw the profile of the face pretty nicely. There’s only a few things I’d really alter. Let’s have a look at the overall first though. 

image

The character’s hand posture with the cigar is supposed to be a character quirk I assume. Which is fun - I like little character-indicatives like this. However, when I tried to replicate the pose for reference I couldn’t for the love of me get my fingers to sit like that holding anything thicker than a pencil despite being in possession of somewhat hypermobile joints. So i wanted to show you the way of how a more ‘normal’ hold on a cigar might look (while still keeping the pinkie and index finger raised higher on the cigar) , knowing that if you want to still keep the character holding the cigar like that - you’d basically have to make the middle- and -ring finger obscured by the cigar itself, since the cigar would rest directly on top of the knuckles. This could be done roughly by just erasing the two fingers. 


image

Now the head i could do a lot more comfortably. Most obvious to me was that the character’ braincase didn’t extend past his neck. This is a common mistake and an easy fix. The ear aligning with the eye, which in turn aligns with the nose is one of the profile’s most common thumb rules. Depending on your design, of course, this can be accurate/inaccurate, but basic anatomy rules dictate that there’s a nearly straight line from the top of the earlobe leading into the dip of the nose bridge somewhere. This is also a great guideline to make for yourself when drawing your sketch. 

image

- Mod wackart  ( ko-fi



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2PsuY5s
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...