Saturday, January 18, 2020

How do you draw a character in heavy rain? Specifically, how do you draw them in a way so that parts of their body isn't obscured by raindrops?

This is a super interesting question! I tried to think of any instances where I’ve seen rain depicted before, and I found a lot of good references from comics. 

For a more simplified approach, look at this Peanuts comic strip. Hatching is used to depict rain, and to avoid it muddying the picture, the lines are very evenly dispersed, creating a uniform gray “haze” across the picture. 

image

In more realistic illustrations, such as these scenes from Batman comics, rain can be simulated by a variety of things. It is commonly shown as lines, still, however there is also the effect of raindrops spattering and hitting the figure, creating a lighter halo around the person - this makes them stand out from the background. 

You can also see in the real photo of a hurricane that heavy rain creates a hazy effect in the background. There’s a physics explanation to this involving light and water drops, but that’s unimportant. Just know that it happens.

Here’s a drawing I made using the techniques I found from the comics. I used scattered lines to denote rain, added a misty haze to the background, and created the halo effect on top of the bus stop. Because the figure is so small, I chose to portray them with a single color, only using a different red to make their boots stand out (which may show that the boots are an important part of their character!). 

-Mod Future (ko-fi)



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2sD04y9
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...