Saturday, December 19, 2020

Hi there, mods! I’ve been practicing perspective lately and would like a redline on these two...

image

Hi there, mods! I’ve been practicing perspective lately and would like a redline on these two characters - it’s one of my better attempts so far, but I’m sure I’ve got more to work on! The point of view is supposed to be below them, and I’d especially appreciate comments on the faces and arms/hands, since those were the trickiest bits. If that’s not too much, I’d also really appreciate any advice you have about the lighting - I tried to give it a sort of “lightning” feel, coming from behind them. Thank you so much!!

submitted by  ambidexedition

Redlined by Mod Future

Alright, these two look like fun characters! I will be focusing on the perspective and the lighting for this redline. 

I would recommend using boxes and cylinders to construct the figure in order to place them in perspective. As we’re looking up at these two, we can see the bottom of the box I used to construct their rib cages. For the hands, it depends on if the hand is closer or farther from the camera. If it is up near the character’s head, like I did on the left, it will not be as foreshortened and closer to actual size. If the hand is being extended down towards us, like I did on the right, then it will be a bit larger because it’s closer. Perspective! 

image

This is a perspective exercise you can think about doing. Constructing the figure using boxes and cylinders, imagine the figure standing in a box, and then rotate that box around. Now draw the figure within that rotated box. This helps build your perspective skills and ability to see the simple mannequin figure from all angles. 

image

Now onto the lighting. 

Reference, reference, reference! 

I searched up some backlit portraits as well as a reference for the stormy sky.

You can see that only the edges of the form are exposed to that super bright light, meanwhile the majority of the body is in shadow. So, that’s what I did. Use any layer mode you want, but for this I used a Hard Light layer on top of my base colors and a dark grey color to make the shadows. Then, an overlay layer for the rim of light around the figures. 

The added contrast of the clouds behind them enhances the contrast of the overall picture :3 

Thank you for submitting your work! I hope this was helpful.

-Mod Future (ko-fi)



from The Redline Station https://ift.tt/2WCkyCh
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey fellas!So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been...

Hey fellas! So recently I’ve been trying to take on a more cartoon style when drawing. I’ve been doing my best to do more unique shilloue...